Monday 5 May 2014

Breeding bird survey

Have decided to move across from Wordpress to Blogger.  I had great fun blogging from the Turks and Caicos in January but then lost momentum.  I'm feeling a bit more inspired again so hope to keep going now!

If you missed what I got up to in the Turks and Caicos have a look it is quite a place to spend a month.

Spring is in full swing and it is much the most exciting time to be out in the countryside.  This weekend I carried out my Breeding Bird Survey, part of the nationwide scheme organised by the BTO.  You walk a couple of transacts within a 1x1 km square, the same route each year at roughly the same time.   Saturday was very frosty at half six in the morning but was also gloriously sunny.  My wellied feet froze, but I enjoyed seeing a good range of birds in my square, which is just west of Moreton Pinkney.  Highlights were a pair of ravens, ditto tree sparrows, and lots of whitethroats - just arrived from Africa and very vocal.

No comments:

Post a Comment