Sunday 2 September 2018

Boddington Reservoir: Wood Sandpiper and Little Egret

I've been able to visit Boddington Reservoir a few times recently and I'm finding early morning is a great time to visit, before there is too much disturbance.  There are some nice habitats around the edge of the reservoir, including an ancient hay meadow, scrubby grassland and quite extensive willow carr.  The water body itself is large enough to attract wildfowl, gulls and one or two waders, and a few pairs of Great-crested Grebes manage to raise young. Recently, water levels have dropped and some nice muddy edges have appeared - attractive to migrant Common Sandpipers and well as the local Grey Herons and a few Little Egrets (up to four).
On Saturday morning I set off around the reservoir and all seemed fairly quiet until I got near to the far end.  Looking across to the far shoreline I spotted a smallish wader that wasn't quite right for Common Sandpiper - too tall and elegant - I suspected it might be a Wood Sandpiper.  I knew I needed a closer look to be sure, so I worked my way around to the other side and carefully scanned the shore.  My suspicions were confirmed, but the views weren't great, looking into the light.  So I continued around and followed a well worn path down to the shore.  A few paces along the shore and I was well positioned to see the sandpiper, and now I could see it properly - a juvenile Wood Sandpiper with neatly patterned and very fresh-looking wing coverts.  It became nervous when some Mallard's reacted to my presence and almost immediately flew off calling "chiff-if-if", but soon returned and resumed feeding, allowing me to take a few photos.
Wood Sandpiper, juvenile
 
Little Egret in evening light
 
Early morning at Boddington Reservoir
Lots of birds are forming into flocks at the moment. Swallows gathered in Upper Wardington village earlier in the week  - up to 80 on the wires - but now seem to have gone.  A similar number of House Martins were gathered at Edgcote on Friday evening - there is a large colony on Edgcote House.
A reasonably large flock of Starlings has gathered in the village for the past week or two, about 160, often gathered on rooftops before periodically swooping down en-mass to feast on the berries of a small Rowan, a feast that won't last too much longer!
Starlings
 



No comments:

Post a Comment